We all know great dialogue when we read it—and the best dialogue seems effortless. But good dialogue takes work and a few key ingredients.
What do you need to get your characters talking in ways that make for riviting, exciting scenes?
1) Your Characters’ Voices
2) Making it Better Than Reality
3) Subtext: Layering Under the Words
4) Accents, Ye Olde English, and Slang
5) Internal Dialogue – What’s too Much?
6) Invisible Tags and Punctuation
7) Punch it! – Making it Matter
Shannon Donnelly’s writing has won numerous awards, including a nomination for Romance Writer’s of America’s RITA award, the Grand Prize in the “Minute Maid Sensational Romance Writer” contest, judged by Nora Roberts, and others. Her writing has repeatedly earned 4½ Star Top Pick reviews from Romantic Times magazine, as well as praise from Booklist and other reviewers, who note: “simply superb”…”wonderfully uplifting”….and “beautifully written.”